FWS Jobs and Programs

The information below can provide further details to help you better understand the types of Federal Work Study jobs and programs.

Are Jobs Assigned?

  • Cornell does not assign jobs. You conduct your own job search using multiple resources and apply to jobs which best fit your interests, skills, and schedule.
  • Always mention your FWS eligibility when applying for jobs.

When Can FWS Be Used?

  • FWS can be used for academic year jobs, and for summer jobs or paid internships.
  • Based on your specific financial aid package, you may have FWS eligibility for only one term (fall or spring).
  • Academic Year FWS eligibility can be used during winter break for on-campus jobs or with pre-approved off-campus employers. {Application deadline for winter off-campus employer is December 1st.}
  • FWS may be awarded during the summer if you are enrolled for summer classes and have a summer financial aid package.
  • FWS can also be awarded for the summer if you participate through the DYO (Develop Your Own Job or Internship) program and are taking less than 6 credit hours of summer classes.

Where Can FWS Be Used?

  • All Cornell departments can hire FWS eligible students.
  • Off-campus employers must be pre-approved for participation. Interested employers can contact the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment for requirements.
  • Most local non-profit agencies hire Cornell FWS eligible students through the Community Work-Study Program monitored by the Cornell Public Service Center for academic year and summer jobs.

Job Restrictions

  • The job cannot be affiliated with religious organizations or with lobbying.
  • Work must be done in the continental United States.
  • You cannot work with the U.S. Department of Education.
  • You cannot work for yourself, nor for a business owned by your family.

Special FWS Programs

DYO (Develop Your Own) Internship or Job - Participation allows you to use FWS eligibility with off-campus, pre-approved employers during the academic year or summer. You identify or create a career-related or academically relevant job or paid internship using the DYO program, and your FWS eligibility will reimburse the employer for a portion of your wages.

New York City Public Service Corps (NYC PSC) - This is a job placement program for summer jobs in New York City agencies. You are paid through the NYC PSC, and Cornell reimburses that agency for the FWS share of your wages. Applications are available from the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment and Cornell Career Services.

Cornell Public Service Center - This on-campus department offers job opportunities, with Ithaca area non-profit agencies, through their Community Work-Study Program. You are paid directly by Cornell, and the employer is billed for its share of your wages.